Our journey to net zero
As we work to build the cities of tomorrow, we remain committed to reducing our impact on the environment. Net zero starts in the ground and we are acutely aware of our role in helping achieve this crucial target.
Our long-term sustainability roadmap sets out our actions for change; ensuring we support the development of urban infrastructure in a sustainable and resource efﬁcient way. Reducing direct and embodied carbon emissions, increasing circularity, and improving resource efﬁciency are all key strategies that we will employ to ensure we meet our net zero 2050 objective.
As part of leading heavy building materials distributor, STARK Group, we are proud of the contribution we make to sustainable business and setting standards worldwide. Awarded a platinum rating by EcoVadis, the leading sustainability rating agency, the Group is among the top 1% of more than 75,000 companies internationally, recognised for its leading sustainability policies, processes and actions.
We recognise that collaboration is key to achieving true sustainability throughout the supply chain. Close partnerships drive innovation, improve expertise and create a shared consciousness, ensuring the needs of both customers and the environment are met.
By working in close partnership with our customers and suppliers we can help to ensure future urban development is sustainable. This circular process is what sets us apart and helps instigate positive change in the industry. Building a better, sustainable future starts in the ground and that begins with us.
We work closely with partners and suppliers to provide customers with sustainable solutions that not only meet environmental targets, but excel in performance. Whether providing hard landscaping solutions, pipes or concrete products, we source products that support the drive to net zero, whilst also implementing our own operational improvements to reduce wastage, maximise vehicle loads and increase recycling.
Climate action across the value chain
Our commitment to achieve net zero is ﬁrmly embedded within our operations and we are actively implementing changes to ensure this happens.
Within logistics, we are focused on efﬁcient loading and routing as well as the use of alternative fuels such as renewable bio-diesel (HVO) and electric mechanical handling equipment. In branches, we are increasing the efﬁciency of heating and energy systems and transitioning to renewable energy across our network. Furthermore, our intense focus on rethinking, reducing, and recycling packaging and waste is helping to further reduce our carbon impact.
In expanding our climate action further, we are also focussing on our indirect emissions, scope 3. Here we concentrate on customer advice and education, as well as increasing collaboration with our suppliers to offer sustainable, energy-efﬁcient and eco-labelled products.
The construction industry is responsible for 38% of global carbon emissions. As a distributor within that market, we recognise the very real impact our positive changes can have. Our ambitious targets are built on the principles of the UN Global Compact and are designed to ensure we are doing all we can to meet the Paris Agreement’s climate change objective of limiting the increase to 1.5°C in global temperatures.
To achieve Net Zero by 2050, we have committed to the following targets, which have been approved by The Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi):
- 16.8% reduction in carbon emissions scope 1 and 2
- 5% reduction in scope 3 emissions
- 3% of employees trained as sustainability specialists
- 42% reduction in carbon emissions scope 1 and 2
- 12% reduction in scope 3 emissions
- Actively source 100% renewable electricity
- Successfully operate as Net-Zero
Let's build a better future
We encourage everyone to make efforts towards reducing their emissions and working towards carbon neutrality. Remember, we are all in this together! Our teams are always at hand to offer expert advice on sustainable solutions whilst delivering low-emission services. If you want to ensure your construction projects are as green as possible, there are a few things you can do:
1. Use greener designs and materials. We are constantly working hard on innovative ideas to ensure that our products use the most environmentally-friendly materials possible. Our brands carry stock with a low-carbon output and in turn, help you lower your carbon footprint by using them.
2. Use energy in smarter ways. In order to reduce your emissions, you ﬁrst need to be aware of how much energy you’re using. You can start with small efforts to conserve energy such as insulating walls, ﬂoors, ceilings and roofs which in turn reduce gas and electricity usage. You can then start considering renewable energy products such as solar panels..
3. Inﬂuencing the industry to work towards carbon neutrality. As a global distributor, we play a huge role in connecting our customers with suppliers. While we ensure that our products and operations are environmentally friendly, we can also provide you with information to support you and your customers toward net-zero carbon building.